The lawyer will submit an application for legal aid on your behalf. To be able to submit an application, we will require a copy of proof of your identity showing your citizen service number (BSN number, formerly known as ‘sofi-nummer’). If you do not (yet) have a BSN number, we will require your alien registration number (vreemdelingennummer). If you have a partner with whom you share a joint household, we will also require a copy of his or her proof of identity and BSN number or alien registration number. This is because the Dutch Legal Aid Board looks at the family income. And finally, you will need to tell us the address the municipality has registered for you.

The Dutch Legal Aid Board will use this information to retrieve details of your income from the Dutch Tax and Customs Administration to be able to decide whether you are eligible for legal aid. They will look at your income in the year two years prior to the year in which the application for legal aid is submitted (this is the reference year). If you are eligible for legal aid, you may still be required to pay a personal contribution. The personal contribution depends on the level of your income in the reference year. Please refer to the website of the Dutch Legal Aid Board for the amount of the personal contribution.

Previous Story


Next Story

Discount Legal Services Counter (LSC)

Latest from Legal Aid